Make a Difference: Operation Christmas Child

Of all the Making a Difference projects and opportunities, this month's organization is my favorite. Probably because they were one of the first organizations we started giving to, or maybe because they do so much for so many in so many ways-- I love Samaritan's Purse.


I love their desire and ability to respond immediately to help people affected by a natural disaster or other crisis here in the U.S. or anywhere in the world. I love that they are financially transparent, and responsible, spending 88 cents of every dollar donated directly on those in need. And I love that you can do more than just write a check. Which brings me to today's opportunity: Operation Christmas Child.


Operation Christmas Child delivers a shoebox full of gifts for impoverished children all over the world.  Volunteers (that's you!) fill the box with toys, school supplies, clothing and hygiene supplies and Samaritan's Purse delivers them via their own planes. This year they expect to surpass a total of over one hundred million shoeboxes distributed since the program was started in 1993.


If you want to read an awesome story about some of the kids who received these boxes check out this post.  It is so cool to hear these stories. It's also cool that you can track your box to see where it ends up.


Now is the time to pack up a box and brighten a child's world. This year the boxes have to be turned in the week of November 12. To find the closest drop off spot to you check here.


Thing One and I had so much fun going on a shopping spree to fill our boxes. I figured if he liked it, another little boy his age would like it. Here's a quick overview of the program. 



Be sure to check out the guidelines for what you can include. I really like starting the holiday season off with the focus on giving. 

Thanks for reading.
- Haley

Comments

  1. We've just taken part in Operation Christmas Child too. Such a great way to encourage kids to give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been doing this for a few years too! I love that we are given an opportunity to share with others! Thanks for linking up at Mom's Library!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to give. I love to see the children opening their boxes. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library and be sure to check back on the 5th of November. I am doing a "Gift of Giving" Series and would love for you to join me with this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review

Popular Posts